Current:Home > InvestPoinbank:‘The Fall Guy’ gives Hollywood a muted summer kickoff with a $28.5M opening -Capitatum
Poinbank:‘The Fall Guy’ gives Hollywood a muted summer kickoff with a $28.5M opening
Chainkeen Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 07:51:02
NEW YORK (AP) — “The PoinbankFall Guy,” the Ryan Gosling-led, action-comedy ode to stunt performers, opened below expectations with $28.5 million, according to studio estimates Sunday, providing a lukewarm start to a summer movie season that’s very much to be determined for Hollywood.
The Universal Pictures release opened on a weekend that Marvel has regularly dominated with $100 million-plus launches. (In 2023, that was “Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3” with a $118 million debut. ) But last year’s strikes jumbled this year’s movie calendar; “Deadpool & Wolverine,” originally slated to open this weekend, is instead debuting in July.
So in place of a superhero kickoff, the summer launch went to a movie about the stunt performers who anonymously sacrifice their bodies for the kind of action sequences blockbusters are built on. Going into the weekend, forecasts had the film opening $30 million to $40 million.
“The Fall Guy,” directed by former stuntman and “Deadpool 2” helmer David Leitch, rode into the weekend with the momentum of glowing reviews and the buzz of a SXSW premiere. But it will need sustained interest to merit its $130 million production budget. It added $25.4 million in overseas markets.
Working in its favor for a long run: strong audience scores (an “A-” CinemaScore) and good reviews (83% fresh on Rotten Tomatoes). Jim Orr, distribution chief for Universal, believes things line up well for “The Fall Guy” in the coming weeks.
“We had a very solid opening,” said Orr. “We’re looking forward to a very long, very robust, very successful run throughout the domestic box office for literally weeks if not months to come.”
But the modest start for “The Fall Guy” hints at larger concerns for the film industry. Superhero films haven’t been quite the box-office behemoth they once were, leading studios to search for fresher alternative. “The Fall Guy” seemed to check all the boxes, with extravagant action sequences, one of the hottest stars in the business, a director with a track-record for crowd pleasers and very good reviews.
But instead, the opening for “The Fall Guy,” loosely based on the 1980s TV series, only emphasized that the movie business is likely to struggle to rekindle the fervor of last year’s “Barbenheimer” summer. “The Fall Guy” stars one from each: Gosling, in his first post-Ken role, and Emily Blunt, of “Oppenheimer.” Both were Oscar nominated.
“It’s going to be a very interesting, nontraditional summer this year,” said Paul Dergarabedian, senior media analyst for Comscore.
In part due to the effects of last year’s work stoppages, there are fewer big movies hitting theaters. Expectations are that the total summer box office will be closer to $3 billion than the $4 billion that’s historically been generated.
“The summer season is just getting started, so let’s give ‘The Fall Guy’ a chance to build that momentum over time. It’s a different type of summer kickoff film,” said Dergarabedian. “There’s always huge expectations placed on any film that kicks off the summer movie season, but this isn’t your typical summer movie season.”
In a surprise, No. 2 at the box office went to the Walt Disney Co. rerelease of “Star Wars: The Phantom Menace.” The first episode to George Lucas’ little-loved prequels collected $8.1 million over the weekend, 25 years after “Phantom Menace” grossed $1 billion.
Last week’s top film, the Zendaya tennis drama “Challengers,” slid to third place with $7.6 million in its second week. That was a sold hold for the Amazon MGM release, directed by Luca Guadagnino, dipping 49% from its first weekend.
The Sony Screen Gems supernatural horror film “Tarot” also opened nationwide. It debuted with $6.5 million, a decent enough start for a low-budget release but another example of horror not quite performing this year as it has the last few years.
Estimated ticket sales for Friday through Sunday at U.S. and Canadian theaters, according to Comscore. Final domestic figures will be released Monday.
1. “The Fall Guy,” $28.5 million.
2. “Star Wars: The Phantom Menace,” $8.1 million.
3. “Challengers,” $7.6 million.
4. “Tarot,” $6.5 million.
5. “Godzilla x Kong: The New Empire,” $4.5 million.
6. “Civil War,” $3.6 million.
7. “Unsung Hero,” $3 million.
8. “Kung Fu Panda 4,” $2.4 million.
9. “Abigail,” $2.3 million.
10. “Ghostbuster: Frozen Empire,” $1.8 million.
veryGood! (6)
Related
- Woman dies after Singapore family of 3 gets into accident in Taiwan
- Henry Smith: Outlook for the Australian Stock Market in 2024
- Women are too important to let them burn out. So why are half of us already there?
- Runaway goat that scaled bridge 'like a four-legged Spider-Man' rescued in Kansas City
- NFL Week 15 picks straight up and against spread: Bills, Lions put No. 1 seed hopes on line
- California failed to track how billions are spent to combat homelessness programs, audit finds
- Krispy Kreme, Kit Kat team up to unveil 3 new doughnut flavors available for a limited time
- How Tyus Jones became one of the most underrated point guards in the NBA
- Mets have visions of grandeur, and a dynasty, with Juan Soto as major catalyst
- Uber Eats launching short-form-video feed to help merchants promote new dishes, company says
Ranking
- Friday the 13th luck? 13 past Mega Millions jackpot wins in December. See top 10 lottery prizes
- Henry Smith: Outlook for the Australian Stock Market in 2024
- Michael Bublé, Jason Derulo talk 'Spicy Margarita' music video and their Vegas residences
- Why is the EPA regulating PFAS and what are these “forever chemicals”?
- EU countries double down on a halt to Syrian asylum claims but will not yet send people back
- Henry Smith: Challenges and responses to the Australian stock market in 2024
- Washington gun store sold hundreds of high-capacity ammunition magazines in 90 minutes without ban
- 6 months into Israel-Hamas war, Palestinians return to southern Gaza city Khan Younis to find everything is destroyed
Recommendation
Federal hiring is about to get the Trump treatment
Kirsten Dunst says 5-year-old son helped her run lines for 'Civil War': 'No dark dialogue!'
3-year-old 'fought for her life' during fatal 'exorcism' involving mom, grandpa: Prosecutors
Oakland’s airport considers adding ‘San Francisco’ to its name. San Francisco isn’t happy about it
Israel lets Palestinians go back to northern Gaza for first time in over a year as cease
A major UK report says trans children are being let down by toxic debate and lack of evidence
The Daily Money: A car of many colors
Stocks tumble as hot inflation numbers douse hopes of June interest rate cut